Examples of Meridian Energy's (MEL) sustainable initiatives include:
- workplace - meridian offer extended maternity leave for 22 weeks.
- their Wellington office uses 60% less energy and 70% less water than comparable office buildings.and has a 5.5/6 NABERSNZ rating for energy performance
- a solar hot water system generates 80% of their office's needs. The integrated building management system controls windows, shutters, blinds, lighting, heating and cooling. The concrete floors naturally maintain a comfortable inside temperature
- staff can use the bike storage area located on the ground floor and many come to work by public transport
- printing is significantly reduced through use of wireless internet available throughout the building
- rainwater is used to flush the office’s water efficient toilets and the urinals are waterless
- Meridian emitted 5,709 tonnes of co2 last year, down from 6,260 tonnes, and
- generate electricity from 100% renewable resources.
Find out more about Meridian Energy here.